Holy Trinity Catholic Church
Johannesburg, South Africa
Holy Trinity Catholic Church is situated on the western side of the city of Johannesburg in Braamfontein, Holy Trinity Church is part of the central deanery of the Archdiocese of Johannesburg and on the south eastern corner of the campus of the University of the Witwatersrand. In 1897 the Trappist Monks from Mariannhill set up a mission to serve migrant mine workers in Stiemens Street. The first church was built and opened in 1899. Soon after this the Anglo-Boer war broke out and the Trappists returned to Natal. The Oblates of Mary Immaculate served the new parish. The current church was completed and opened in 1938. In 1966 the Paulist Fathers looked after the parish and university chaplaincy. In 1969 the parish was handed over to the Diocese for a short period.
The Society of Jesus was given responsibility for the parish in 1973 and have served the community ever since. The Jesuits oversaw the building of Trinity House, a residence for Catholic students studying at the Universities in the area. The residence was opened in 1991.
The present parish population is made up of approximately 600 families, drawn from all over Johannesburg as well as the universities.
The parish is responsible for the pastoral care of those in the Milpark Hospital and the Wits Donald Gordon Medical Centre. People from the Parish Community regularly visit the hospitals. Situated within the parish are two Catholic Schools, McAuley House in Milpark and Holy Family Convent in Parktown. The priests at Holy Trinity offer pastoral care to the schools. The Parish is responsible for and run the chaplaincies to the University of the Witwatersrand (Wits) and the University of Johannesburg (UJ).
The following Jesuits are currently missioned to this ministry:
- Fr David Rowan, SJ
- Fr Nobert Munekani, SJ
This ministry is a work of the following Jesuit Community:
This ministry is located at:
See all Ministries >
16 Stiemens Road
+27 (11) email@example.com